Vitkin Village 


 


Kfar Vitkin- the first Jewish settlement in the Hefer Valley, was established by immigrants from Poland and Russia who were members of the ‘Vitkin’ and ‘Valley’ associations. 

On 20th January 1930 the group settled in the west of the Hefer Valley in an old stone-built house, today called ‘Bet HaRishonim’ – ‘The Founder’s House’ or ‘The Big House’. The settlers worked at draining the swamps, drainage of channels and waterways, tree planting and preliminary land farming. 

During 1931-1932, additional families joined and were lodged in wooden huts, west of the ‘Big House’. A school, general store, dairy etc were erected, which later formed the basis for establishing the village. 

In 1932, the two groups of settlers merged as the ‘United Vitkin Association’, which then founded the Vitkin Village. On 7th April 1933, the residents of the ‘Big House’ moved into their permanent quarters in the village. The huts were also transferred in their entirety to the permanent site. 

Today, Vitkin Village is the largest ‘moshav’ – cooperative village – in the country and comprises 150 farmholds, about 20 residential units for service personnel and an additional 150 houses in the village’s extension. Of the 150 farmholds, only about half are still active in agriculture, mainly in dairy farming, poultry raising, orchards, growing flowers, grapes and a winery. 

The moshav is named after Joseph Vitkin.